This module allows you to explore how the heartbeat, breathing, muscle blood flow, and sweating respond to exercise.
- To start a simulation, press the orange GO button. This will simulation a 5 minute period. You can press the GO button again to run the simulation for an additional 5 minutes.
- To make the person begin exercising, change the Exercise Power to a number greater than zero, then press GO again. A power setting of zero means the person is at rest. You can change the exercise power to a maximum of 200 watts. If the person gets too tired, they will stop exercising.
- Click on the magnifying glass to zoom in on any graph. When you zoom in on a graph, you can also export the data to use in a spreadsheet.
- Press Reset Simulation to start again with the default settings.
The following Variables can be graphed for this simulation. The orange New Graph button will allow you to add additional graphs.
- Time (Minutes)
- Exercise Bike Power Setting
- Heart Rate (bpm)
- Respiratory Rate
- Metabolic Rate